Teen Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery is a very popular procedure in today’s day and age. Although it is most common amongst middle aged and older individuals, many young people are also dissatisfied with some parts of their body. The fact is a great number of teenagers are eager to change their body image.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, in 2003 more than 223,000 cosmetic procedures, such as nose reshaping, breast lifts, breast augmentation, Liposuction, and tummy tucks were performed on patients 18 years of age or younger. That being said, teen cosmetic surgery is definitely on the rise in the United States.
Why Do Teenagers Get Cosmetic Surgery?
There are several reasons why teenagers consider cosmetic surgery, the main one being the desire to change some part of their body they are not comfortable with. Another reason is that they are unhappy with their body image. Because our society places a great amount of importance on physical attractiveness, many teenagers feel the need to look slim, handsome or beautiful. Some teenagers feel the need to look like a certain actress or actor in order to attain a successful life and career.
The underlying conviction is that teen cosmetic surgery offers an increased sense of worth and fosters self-esteem. In some countries such as Brazil, teen cosmetic surgery is a fairly common occurrence for many girls involved in beauty pageants. Some contestants will actually go through as many as twenty to thirty different types of cosmetic procedures because the judges of these contests are looking for perfection.
What Cosmetic Surgery is Popular with Teenagers?
There are numerous different types of cosmetic procedures, and many of them are embraced by teenagers. The following is a list of the most popular ones:
- Augmentation mammoplasty, which is the enlargement of breasts, is the most popular procedure
- Liposuction is also in great demand; it involves removing fat deposits from specific parts of the body
- Reduction mammoplasty is the decrease of breast size, and is less common amongst teensRhinoplasty consists of reshaping and reconstruction of the nose
- Otoplasty entails pinning back the ears in order to prevent them from sticking out
- Microdermabrasion is a common procedure that focuses on smoothing or hiding severe acne scars (approximately 53, 000 teenagers in the U.S.A. underwent this cosmetic procedure in 2002)
- A chemical peel, much like microdermabrasion, is a procedure that aims to improve the overall skin texture of the face by using a chemical solution (about 54, 000 teenagers in the U.S.A. had a chemical peel in 2002)
- Laser hair removal is a fashionable cosmetic procedure; it eliminates unwanted hair in various areas of the body such as the lips, chin, earlobe, shoulders, back, underarms, abdomen, buttocks, pubic area, thighs, face, neck, cleavage, chest, arms, legs, hands, and toes.
- Today, when teenagers do not like something about their bodies, there is a very good chance that something can be done about it. The cosmetic procedures mentioned above are merely the most common ones.
Is Teen Cosmetic Surgery a Good Idea?
Surgery is surgery, and there are various risks involved in all surgical procedures. It is important to understand the risks associated with teen cosmetic surgery prior to making a decision to go under the knife. Every individual’s situation and makeup is unique, and should be examined and assessed accordingly.
It is recommended that teenagers discuss potential cosmetic surgery with their parents before consulting a doctor. A significant number of surgeons choose not to perform certain cosmetic procedures on anyone under the age of eighteen. They feel that young people’s bodies are not yet fully developed, and their considerations are still emotionally immature; consequently, teenagers may be contemplating cosmetic surgery for less than valid reasons. Cosmetic surgery performed on teenagers may lead to negative side effects, and possible future complications. Ultimately, it is the surgeon’s decision to make.
Nevertheless, many teenagers benefit from certain cosmetic procedures. In fact, teenage girls who have breast reduction are relieved from back pain and other unmanageable discomforts caused by exceptionally large breasts. In some cases, cosmetic surgery is the only solution to improve the health and well-being of certain individuals.